Friday, May 17, 2013

Being friends with co-workers.

I used to argue that it was ok to be friends with people you manage. But it's complicated. They assume, if they're not mature and rational people, that you've got their back. If you're like me and you've had a million jobs, you know how important it is to maintain a job for a long period of time and not to screw it up. Recently, I posted something on Facebook and one of my "friends" brought it up in front of the boss. Now, what I said wasn't bad, but it pisses me off that she didn't have more common sense than to keep that between us and outside of work.

It's my own fault for assuming the internet was a safe place to bitch. I need to delete everyone that I supervise. BUT there are one or two people who I could remain friends with because we share the same common understanding that work is work and outside is different. Why can't everyone be smart?

No comments:

Post a Comment